background: i tried this once before in college (i'm 25 now,) but only stuck with it about two weeks. my hair was definitely still in the transition period and i was very concerned as i was going to class every day and also wanted to impress my boyfriend of the time. no one wants their significant other to look like a greaseball... so, i quit.
the thing keeping me from trying it again long ago is the transition period, which is different for every person and can last anywhere from 2-6 weeks... i have a job that i go to every day. i need to look presentable and clean and i don't want the people that i work with to think i'm gross. part of the reason why i'm starting it now is that i have a week of time off planned at work for recovery from surgery. at least i can struggle through one week of this without having to worry about looking presentable to my co-workers. (though, now that i think about it...only my boss is female. and i doubt the guys even notice.) either way, it's a confidence thing. isn't that funny? i feel like i can accomplish anything on good hair days... here it goes!!!
i'm basically fed up with my hair and desperate to try anything. it's naturally wavy/curly but the massive amounts of frizz i encounter deters me from wearing it that way often.... but it's in a rut. it doesn't seem to grow, it's VERY dry, with lots of split ends, and it breaks easily. i flat iron my hair nearly every day, after blow drying it. it's heat damaged - i know that, and i'm trying to give it a chance to go all natural and repair itself. i'm going to try to let it air dry as much as possible and avoid using product if i can. hopefully there will be a lot of wavy/curly days in the future so i can give my flat iron a bit of a rest. we shall see!
- i work out all the time, so i will be in the shower each day. so far i have done 2 BS/ACV rinses, and water only all of the other days. i know the baking soda mix shouldn't be used so often but i'm still getting used to the idea that water only (especially after a sweaty gross work out) will be enough... is it really enough? do you have any suggestions for me?
- are there any remedies for split ends? does no poo work with them? (i imagine it takes a while...)
- how about the dry hair? will that come in time too or is there anything special i can do for that?
- i have discovered based on my research that i DEFINITELY have hard water. i haven't tried boiling it and letting it cool, but that's my plan going forward. should i do this only on days when i use my BS and ACV rinse, or should i incorporate it into my every day "water only" rinse too?
- also... does it make sense that even though i can feel the oil in my hair (more towards the scalp, not the roots,) the rest of my hair feels dry?